Saturday, March 27, 2010

Step One...complete

November of 2009 I had had enough of looking like a fat frumpy mom/person (as my great friend Amy put it about so many women/moms) and decided it was time to get my health in order. I was talking to a gal at work and she mentioned Weight Watchers. I wasn't quit sure that was the right path to take, because of the cost. She then continued to tell me that she use to teach for Weight Watchers and had all the stuff I would need to get started. So she brought me all her stuff and I began to read and dive into the program. I picked the points system and off I went. We decided that she was going to do it with me and that we would weigh in every Tuesday at school to keep track of losses and gains (to have that kind of support you get when you go to weekly meetings at Weight Watchers). The first week was really hard and I was really hungry, but I as I continued and the lbs. came off, I feel in love with it. My appetite decreased, I eliminated soda and all the junk food, and stopped going out to eat (as far as fast food places). I keep my flex pts. for the weekend just in case I wanted to go out and eat at a restaurant or go to the movies. Life started to change. I went down 3 pant sizes and 1 shirt size and today I have lost a total of 25.4 lbs.
My sister came to me the other day and asked if I wanted to do the Race for the Cure with her on May 8th. I was very hesitant and not sure that would be something I could do. BUT...I said YES! I've been talking about walking the Race for awhile and never thought that I could run it, but I am going to do it. Today I completed Step One. I took myself down to The Salt Lake Running Co. and bought me a pair of running shoes and inserts. I really felt good walking in there and telling the sales lady exactly what I wanted and she just went to it. Before I would of never stepped foot in that place cause I laked the self confidence. NOT TODAY!!! I finished my errands and when I came home off went the street clothes and on came the workout clothes and I hit the pavement. I have decided to use the Couch to 5K training plan to help me prepare for the Race, since I heard that was a good place to start. So today the chart said: walk 5 min., jog 2 min., then walk 5 min. OMH did that feel great! I could of gone on, but promised myself and my sister that I would stick to the training and not over do it. How exhilarating that feels to know that I can do this and nothing is going to get in my way!




3 comments:

Camie said...

Kim, That is SO awesome!! Good for you! Keep it up! :)

Heather said...

Awesome sis!! I am so excited!!

Amy said...

That's great Kim! Count on me being there with you! It's a great race! Plus, you get pink shoelaces at one of the vendors afterward which are really cute on your running shoes.